Blog Description

the lowdown before, during, and after Sarah Yale's volunteer venture abroad

Monday, December 20, 2010

Painting Progress!

After many, many trips back and forth from home-base to the paint store, and home-base to Rau, and Rau to Amka in Njoro and back to home-base again... marvelous, tremendous, stupendous progress has been made on the cheering-up of Step Up Amka School! As per usual, I will fail to find the most accurate words to describe my feelings about this, but "immense pride," "amazement," and "ridiculous excitement" come fairly close.

Almost every afternoon last week (and at least one day each of the last three weekends in a row), I have made the trek over to Njoro (the neighborhood where Amka Nursery School is located) in Athmuni's dependable Moshi taxicab (Yes. I do in fact know my cab driver by name; it's my latest stint in "product" loyalty, calling him up nearly every day for a ride and getting a jovial, impromptu Swahili lesson along the way) to continue painting the classroom walls the happiest shades of blue and green imaginable. Every morning, I had the immense pleasure of watching my tiny students arrive one by one and burst with incredulous delight as they saw the latest brilliant new coat and color. Then the real fun began. To be continued...kesho!

No comments:

Post a Comment