Blog Description

the lowdown before, during, and after Sarah Yale's volunteer venture abroad

Friday, February 18, 2011

een duisend nege honderd agt-en-tagtig grondboontjiebotter toebroodjies

Don't ask me what that means, because I have no idea.

Actually, that's a lie. I know what it means: 1988 peanut butter sandwiches. Just don't ask me to pronounce it. I most definitely cannot.

This, essentially, is how my Afrikaans lessons are progressing here in Cape Town. It's impossible, and I will never master the throat-hacking "g" noise. I think I'll stick with KiSwahili, thanks very much. Too bad the most widely spoken language at my primary school, in addition to English, is Afrikaans. At this point, I think I'd have better luck with Xhousa... and that one has about three DIFFERENT "click" noises in its pronunciation.

Naturally, at least 5 of my first graders speak almost exclusively Xhousa.

Solution: Begin speaking like Linus' teacher in Peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment