Blog Description

the lowdown before, during, and after Sarah Yale's volunteer venture abroad

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Let me do it now

We’ve had a small scare/major bit of sadness at the home base today. After lunch, we were all informed that one of our fellow volunteers had to come home early from her placement this morning because a child at her preschool passed away over the weekend…from meningitis. Since the child was present at school on Friday, it would have had to have been a very quick-moving variety of the disease (if that is indeed the cause of death)… so everyone’s a little anxious, to say the least. More than anything, we’re deeply concerned for the child’s family and are mourning his/her early departure.

How precious and ridiculously short life is. We are reminded of it all the time. It seems a little morbid, sometimes, to think of our lives as numbered days… but it’s true of us all. Embrace every day, in every possible way. Eat cake. Climb mountains. Blow kisses. Give back. Do what you can, while you can – your impact matters, big or small.

I shall pass through this world but once. Any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. – Etienne de Grellet

1 comment: