Blog Description

the lowdown before, during, and after Sarah Yale's volunteer venture abroad

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Questions I was asked before I left:

1. Will you chop off all of your hair before you go? And could you dye it brown? How about both?

Answer: No. Way. I actually don't hate my hair. Also, I think I'd still be recognized as a foreigner, even if I did. (The Africans are pretty adept at spotting the "mzungu" [white people], believe it or not.) Unless, of course, I also managed to become fluent in the local language. And also change my skin color.

The only real difficulty I've had thus far related to standing out as a mzungu is that I (the other volunteers and I) get harassed on the street a lot. People either want a donation, see an easy target for pick-pocketing, or would just LOVE to show you their goods... or take you "wherever you need to go"... for a small fee. And they will follow you down the street for miles just in case you might break down and buy that crappy bracelet. So far I've bought nothing and lost nothing on the streets of Moshi. I have learned to "walk with purpose" and say, repeatedly, "hapana, asante!"

2. Why on earth are you going to Africa?

Answer: Holy smokes, why not? The culture, the people, and the scenery -- all different and all beautiful, and that's an understatement. Plus, for a person who wants nothing more than a volunteer opportunity and a chance to be truly useful (where your knowledge, your skills, your resources, and your influence are all valued in spades) there's no shortage of projects or people to assist in Africa. Let's be real. Also, have I mentioned the fresh coffee? How about the elephants? It looks like I'm actually going on an EPIC safari this weekend with my fellow CCS-ers, staring tomorrow after work and ending on Monday (including the Serengeti, the Crater, and a Maasai village visit). Why NOT Africa?

3. What about laundry?

Answer: Now that's an interesting question. I found out this week during our tour of the Home-Base (where I live with the other volunteers) that I'll be washing my [filthy, dust and sweat-encrusted] laundry in a bucket outside in the yard... then hanging it out in the African sun and air to dry. For three months. (Until I go to South Africa.) Others, I'm told (many, many others), send their laundry out for a Mama to do it for them. Being that I am on a pretty tight budget, however... a very, very tight budget... and I kind of came to Africa with the intention of living simply and respecting the culture by living fairly minimalist-style... it looks like I'll be the girl getting familiar with the wash bucket out back.

The truly interesting part of this endeavor is that it is "highly recommended" that we iron every single piece of clothing afterward -- not to make a good impression or to be sensitive to the conservative culture and our "professional positions" in schools and hospitals, but to kill off all the tiny bugs that may have taken up residence in our shirts and undies, etc.

More later, of course. Feel free to send me any more questions via Comments or my email (sarah.atwood.yale@gmail.com)!

4 comments:

  1. QUESTION. How many adorable African animals have you seen thus far. How many have you petted? Will you bring home a lock of exotic adorable animal fur for me to treasure for ever? Will you bring home any species of baby African mammal for me to treasure forever? Thank you very much goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smally, is there anyway for you to receive mail en Afrique? Because undy-bugs give me the deep sweats and I'm thinking of just sending you a three-month supply of freshies. You are a baby girl size XXXS right? Like Preemie-3 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LAUGHED OUT LOUD (yeah, LOLed) at both of these comments. Erin, of course, don't be a goose. I obviously nabbed you an entire exotic animal to treasure, not just a lock of fur. Rachel, my god, I would love tons of fresh underwear. Unfortunately, packages of all kinds take weeks to get here, so... death-via-steam-and-heat will be taking place. If you still want my mailing address, email me. LOVE YOU BOTH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, you know me....so you can imagine my reaction when I read you iron your undies!!!! te he he
    LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete