Blog Description

the lowdown before, during, and after Sarah Yale's volunteer venture abroad

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Things that I've done...

but haven't yet been able to blog about (and this is only the beginning):

1. Washed and ironed my first load of clothing outside this past weekend (as I didn't have a single t-shirt left that didn't smell a bit like safari). What an incredible work out! Yikes... and no bug troubles yet!

2. Read my first Tanzanian newspaper, front-to-back, and felt more in the know and less like a mzungu than ever.

3. Tried -- and hated -- the local banana beer and wine. Some of the other African beers (entitled "Safari," "Serengeti," and "Tusker," for example) are not terrible, but... I think I'll be saving any alcohol purchases/splurges for when I'm in South Africa and surrounded by vinyards. I'm having a hard time justifying buying anything like that right now, anyway... with so many people around me struggling to buy food and/ pay basic bills and school fees. It just doesn't feel cool.

4. Visited another local nursery school not far from mine that a fellow volunteer works at... although no longer, as his kids have "graduated" and will be attending primary school in January. He had at least twice as many kids under his watch (although he had extra help), and it was break time when I arrived, so they all bum-rushed me with hugs, high-fives, and "teach-uh! teach-uh!" upon my turning the corner... so it was kind of awesome. Nothing quite like being a celebrity among children to get a little confidence and morale boost.

5. Went out to dinner (on CCS) with the other volunteers to a local restaurant where a bunch of traditional African drummers and dancers came out to entertain us as well as teach us how to "shakey shakey." This was INCREDIBLE. It was like Cirque de Soleil meets dinner theatre meets African dance club. Did I say doing my laundry here was a good workout? Try "shakey shakey." Master it and you'll feel fearless.

6. Brought in a handful of excellent children's books to my kids at Step Up (that I had brought from home, thank goodness!) so that I could read to them and they could finally get their cute, eager little hands on some... and holy smokes, guys... they loved them. They're so smart and so deserving... I wish I could give them an entire library.

No comments:

Post a Comment